One of my favourite social media platforms is Instagram. I am still surprised how often people say they are either not on it or they do not understand it. So I thought this month I would share five tangible tips with you, so you can build a more powerful brand and increase your following. Now Instagram works well with both corporate brands and personal brands so these tips can apply to both. That is not the case for every social media platform. I think Instagram is particularly beneficial if you have a restaurant or are in the retail industry.
One of my favourite local retail Instagram accounts is for the Barefoot Contessa Boutique. You can find them at @bfcboutique. I love the pictures they put up of their frocks and check their account every week to see what’s new. If I see something I like, I go in for a proper look. It works!
Another account I visit often is for Heirloom Vegetarian, one of my favourite restaurants in Vancouver. I love the pictures of their specials and new menu items. You can find them at @heirloomveg. I will often order things I have seen on their Instagram feed. It works!
Here are my tips:
- Be yourself. It is important on Instagram to be authentic, true to yourself and your values. I have written about values before because they are the core program that guides me through life. For example, I am vegetarian and love cooking, so you will see my food pics up there. I am also a bit of a fashion fiend, so you’ll see my gorgeous new Ted Baker dress that I bought recently from their lovely store in Pacific Centre. These posts are a reflection of my real life.
- Be engaging. Comment and like other people’s content. Please be positive and kind with your feedback. Ask people questions and start conversations. Another tip is to always either ‘like’ or ‘reply’ to someone’s comment on your feed, this applies to both personal accounts and corporate accounts.
- Be consistent. You must be consistent in how often you post and follow up on comments. I post daily. But for you, it might be weekly or only on weekends, etc… The worst thing is when you find someone you know, but their account is inactive, or they almost never post.
- Be interesting. I try to vary my content. I make sure that not only is it good quality but that it is interesting and from a wide variety of topics that I care about. What are you interested in? What are your hobbies? Maybe you love wine or running. Post about that. Maybe you love baking on weekends or reading. Post about that. Remember that interesting does not mean perfect, so feel free to post about the fails too!
- Be up to speed. Instagram is always coming out with new features and will require a certain amount of effort on your part to stay up to date. So, for example, you now have Instagram Stories, Instagram Live Videos and they just launched Photo Albums, where you can post multiple images in the same post.
Choose one point from the tips above to implement into your Instagram profile and see what happens. If you want to connect with me or even just check out my feed to see examples of some of my points above, you can find me on Instagram at @NargesNirumvala. I look forward to connecting with you there.